As we enter this winter season, we would like to make sure everyone is on the same page with how we communicate weather announcements for Minden Public Schools.
- 1)An automated call and text message via Minden Public Schools stating whether we will have no school or a late start. The automated call, or a pre-recorded call, will go out to all parents that have the correct contact information updated in our PowerSchool system. If you are unsure if your contact information is up to date, please contact your school.
- 2)Facebook, Twitter & Instagram: If you are looking for updates, please also check our Facebook and Twitter pages. You can follow our Twitter account @MindenWhippets or our Facebook page, Minden Public Schools.
- 3)Our website: www.mindenwhippets.org or download the Minden Whippets app from the Google Play Store or App Store.
Frequently asked questions:
1. How do you decide if there will be a late start, early release, or no school?
We communicate with local meteorologists, road crews, and maintenance employees before postponing or canceling school.
2. When will we know if school is going to be postponed or canceled?
Minden Public Schools will try to communicate the night before by 9:00 pm. As we all know, the weather is challenging to predict, so there may be times where the school must be canceled or postponed early in the morning. We will let bus drivers know before 6:00 am, and a call will go out around the same time. If we have a late start but conditions worsen, we will let parents know around 7:30. We will do our best to avoid late notices.
3. What if my child is late, or I do not want to risk the drive on bad weather days?
We want everyone to be safe traveling to school. If your child is late coming to school on inclement weather days, your child will not be counted tardy or absent. We ask that you help by calling to inform the school if your child is late or absent due to the inclement weather, students will be allowed to make up their work. Ultimately, parents need to make the best decision for your students and if you or they can get to school.
We hope this information is helpful for you and your family as we enter into the winter season. Please be safe, give yourself extra time, and slow down.